Urban County & CDBG

The City of Dexter re-joined the Washtenaw Urban County in 2018. The Washtenaw Urban County is a partnership between Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners and the cities, townships and villages who have agreed to participate in federally funded programs. 

The governing body of the Washtenaw Urban County is the Washtenaw Urban County Executive Committee (UCEC). The UCEC prioritizes needs; reviews projects; makes funding recommendations to the Washtenaw Board of Commissioners; and makes policies that facilitate Washtenaw County's administration of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) programs.  UCEC agendas and minutes are available in the agenda center.

The Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development provides a variety of home improvement services to Washtenaw County and Urban County residents by way of two (2) separate programs:

  1. The Housing Rehabilitation program:  Qualifying residents can receive critical repairs including roof replacements, furnace, water heater replacements, and beginning again soon, ADA ramp installations.  Smaller projects are provided to residents as a grant, whereas for more costly projects OCED places a 0% interest lien on the home. Many of these services do have waiting lists.

  2. The Weatherization and Test and Tune programs:  The Home Weatherization (Wx) program provides energy saving home improvements to eligible residents of the entire County with a focus on installing attic and wall insulation upgrades. The Wx program also performs health and safety checks on all heating systems, and places high priority on verifying that mechanical appliances are functioning safely and that no carbon monoxide concerns are present.  The Test and Tune program is funded by DTE. OCED can assist clients in the DTE service territory with furnace safety checks. Usually, if a furnace is found to be unsafe we are able to replace the furnace.

For more information, including eligibility requirements, review our Weatherization FAQs. To have a staff member contact you about the program, please complete the Weatherization and Test and Tune Inquiry form.

To apply for weatherization assistance, print and complete the Weatherization Application (PDF), and return it to the OCED office. To have an application mailed to you, call 734-544-3008. 

NOTE: A completed Landlord Agreement (PDF) and Tenant Form (PDF) are required (for rental properties only) for the program.